Teach English in Prague
It may not be the most spoken language in the world, but the importance of English as an official language cannot be denied. It is currently spoken in around 55 countries and is considered a vital tool for global communication. That is why, the younger generation across the globe, are now paying special attention to become more fluent in the language. This has created a great demand for qualified English teachers in non-native countries.
There are many reasons why people want to learn English and demand for English teachers in non-native countries stays high. Some of the non-native speakers travel to English speaking countries for seeking better job opportunities while others get admitted to top universities where English is used as the primary source of communication. That is why fluency in the language is considered important to progress in different fields. This ensures that a qualified English teacher has plenty of job opportunities in non-native countries.
Does Prague have a good job market for English language teachers?
Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, is a beautiful combination of modern living and old traditions, which has made its culture unique and extremely interesting. The city is not only awe-inspiring but also welcoming and a source of creative motivation for teachers, artists, musicians and passionate poets alike. Prague is a modern city with incentives for creative and artistic minds.
There was a time when the Czech had to learn the Russian language but things changed after the end of communism in the country and English became the secondary language. A large percentage of the younger generation is familiar with English but they are not as fluent as they would like. Their proficiency in the language is just enough to guide the tourists in the right direction. With increasing tourism and the importance of English, people in the Czech Republic want to learn the language and its capital, Prague, is not an exception. In fact, the city offers one of the best job markets for English teachers in the country.
Prague is a good place for teachers and students alike. With the advent of the new customs and progressing economy, it is now seen a great job market for English teachers as they can find a lot of prospects in this beautiful city. With a variety of public as well as private language teaching centers and schools, the teachers can expect to find an opportunity that meets their requirements. The average salaries offered by foreign language schools ranges from $1,000 to $3,000, which is quite good. The teachers can also register online and teach with hourly paid packages.
The city has many international schools that hire throughout the year, which makes it easier for teachers to find jobs. However, getting hired by private and public schools may not be that easy as the job market is quite competitive.
What are the requirements to become an English teacher in Prague?
- A degree – Having at least a bachelor’s degree is not necessary, in most cases. However, being a degree holder will have its advantages. It may allow you to get better paid and more job opportunities. Moreover, it may become necessary to have a recognized degree if you aim to teach English in educational institutions with higher academic levels.
- TEFL, TESOL or CELTA certification – Just like a degree, having a TEFL, TESOL or CELTA certificate may not be mandatory for all job types. However, educational institutions that offer higher salaries may require you to have it.
- Native English speakers – Officially, being a native English speaker is not mandatory, in most of the cases. However, almost all institutions may prefer native speakers to non-native speakers.
- EU citizenship – There may be a few institutions that may ask for an EU citizenship. If you do not have it then you may be asked to show a Czech business license.
What are the various types of institutes in Prague that hire English language teachers?
- Private language schools – These schools offer plenty of job opportunities that do not have strict requirements, making them easier to avail. Moreover, these schools or centers hold classes after regular working hours, which allows you to have a regular day job as well.
You can earn around $10-$12 per hour teaching at these centers.
- Public schools – The opportunities for English teachers in public schools are quite limited. Therefore, you will have to make sure you are qualified enough to compete for a job. You can expect to earn between $800 to $1,500 per month.
- Private international schools – International schools are among the best-paid jobs in the city. These are based on the international system of education and are quite expensive. You can expect to earn between $2,000 to $2,700 per month. Some of the reputable schools include:
- American Academy,
- Christian International School
- Meridian International School
- Private tutoring – Salaries for English teachers in Prague may not be as high as offered by other European countries or Japan. Therefore, many teachers find a secondary source of income to supplement their regular job. One of the best ways is to become a private tutor. There are many schools going students and even adults who are looking for private lessons, which can create a few private tutoring opportunities for you. You can earn around $13 to $17 per hour.
- Work with British Council – The British Council offers different courses including language courses for both adults and young children and they have teaching centers in Prague as well. You can get hired by the British Council to teach in one of their centers. They work in collaboration with the Ministry of Education and offer teacher training and other workshops, which can be great for your resume.
Do you need a visa to teach in Prague?
Yes, you will need a work visa to teach English in Prague and teachers usually get their work visas after they arrive in the country. Therefore, to enter the country, you can get a tourist visa, which has a validity of 90 days. After your arrival, you can apply for your work visa that will make it legal for you to teach in Prague.
- Types of work visas you can get
- Zivno – Technically known as Zivnostensky list, it is a business visa or a trade license, which you require in order to work in Prague. This type of visa can easily be acquired by both American and non-EU teachers. The application has to be submitted directly to the government and if approved, you would be allowed to work in any of the schools that offer you a job. Here are the documents you will need to apply for Zivno:
- Application form
- 2 photographs
- A document confirming sufficient financial resources
- Bank account statement in your name
- Documents regarding the purpose of business visa Zivno
- Copy of a working permit
- Application for the Criminal History Record
- Criminal History Record from your own country
- Travel health insurance
- Birth certificate
- Proof of marital status
- Processing time is almost 120 days from the day of submission of application.
- After the Embassy gets the approval for your application, you will be asked for your passport.
- Standard work Visa – This type of visa is not so common because it involves detailed paperwork and is quite expensive for the employer to sponsor. If a school does agree to help you with a Standard Work Visa, then you may have to spend around 100 Euros for its processing. You will need to submit your original notarized diploma and you will be required to translate it into Czech.
Should you bring start-up money when moving to Prague?
Anyone who has ever traveled to and settled abroad will tell you that you need to have a good amount of money for settling down. As you may have to wait at least a month to get your first paycheck, therefore, this money will be important.
To live comfortably in Prague for the first one or two months you should take at least $2,000 to $5,000 USD with you. This amount can help you find a place to stay and also take care of your visa application fees.
Cost of living in Prague
Salaries offered by the educational institutions in Prague are relatively lower. Therefore, you may need to be very careful about setting aside your monthly budget.
Here is a breakdown of the monthly cost of living in Prague:
- One-bedroom apartment in the City Center may cost you around $613 per month.
- One-bedroom apartment outside the City Center may cost you around $421 per month.
- You should expect to spend around $179 per month on utilities.
- Monthly pass for transportation may cost you around $28.
- A regular meal at an affordable restaurant may cost around $5.11.
Can you work in Prague without TEFL certification?
As mentioned above, having a TEFL, TEFOL or CELTA certification will give you an edge in Prague. However, if you don’t already have a TEFL certificate, you can get one from Prague. One of the best advantages of doing a TEFL course from Prague is that not only will you get a course from the city where you plan to teach but the program will also help you in your job hunt.
Here are five of the best courses you can consider:
- The language house – It is considered as one of the best and very famous onsite TEFL offering certification. With a variety of skills under one heading, it enables the teachers to have great exposure to Classroom management. The teachers learn the skills of language teaching and classroom management, in a very progressive manner. Located in Prague, it offers courses that give you valuable TEFL training.
- TEFL worldwide Prague – It is also a renowned program for a TEFL certificate. The training it offers will not only help you become a better teacher but it will also polish up your grammar and language skills.
- International TEFL Academy – It is a world leader in training teachers and providing certification to them. The course offered in Prague is also lead by highly skilled and dedicated teachers. It makes the learners proficient in teaching.
- Live TEFL Prague – What makes this course different is that it is a vigorous four-week certification program, which allows you to earn an internationally recognized certificate of TEFL and TESOL.
- Oxford Prague – It is centrally located and gives you easy access to all the beautiful places in the city. It is one of the more cost-effective programs for a CELTA certificate and offers 134 hours of training. Despite its low cost, the quality of training and facilities offered are as good as any expensive program.
How is the accommodation in Prague?
Finding accommodation in Prague may not be that difficult as the city has a lot of options. However, despite its easy availability, accommodation can be a bit on the expensive side. If you want to live near the city center that you may have to spend around $1,120 per month on rent for an apartment with two bedrooms and a kitchen. The cost goes lower as you move away from the center, however, you may then have to spend a little extra on transportation to reach work and other places within the city.
One of the ways to cut cost on rent is to share an apartment, which is quite common in Prague. But if you want to live near the City Center you may still have to pay more than you would like. The rent could be around $448 per month.
Document regarding accommodation in the Czech Republic
The original statement by a state or property owner, which specifies the willingness to lend the property.
If you want to take the apartment on a lease, then a lease document will be required.
Is transportation in Prague convenient?
The public transport system in Prague is highly convenient. It is considered to be the fifth best transportation system in the world. The major modes of transportation include the following:
You can get a long-term ticket for about $158, which will be valid for an entire year and allow you to move within the city. It will save you the hassle of spending time on getting tickets every time you want to travel to work or other places.
Can you Teach English as Foreign Language without traveling to Prague?
Yes, you can teach English online from your home country through VIPKID. It is an online portal, which has around 60,000 teachers teaching over 500,000 Chinese students. It is the largest online language schools that offer the best wages and plenty of job opportunities.
Benefits of working with VIPKID
Here are a few benefits that have made VIPKID the number one choice for English teachers:
- International experience – You gain valuable international experience from your home country. You simply do not have to worry about the tiresome visa process and the money it requires from you. Moreover, you also do not have to leave your friends and family behind to earn some extra cash.
- Great wages that are paid immediately – VIPKID has an online payment method and you get paid as soon as your class is over, which means you do not have to wait at all to get your paycheck. You can earn anywhere between $7 to $22 plus a few other incentives that can drive your salary higher.
- Teaching material is provided – VIPKID provides you with the curriculum, which saves you the mammoth task of searching for authentic teaching material. All you have to do is plan a lesson and work on making it creative. This is a great thing for those who have regular day jobs and not enough hours in the day to look for content.
- Flexible working hours – Choose as many classes as you like and teach them whenever suits you the best. You can work full-time or part-time, the choice is yours and there is no pressure. This is one of the major reasons why VIPKID is considered as a great option for a secondary job.
How can you get hired by VIPKID?
You will need to have the following to get hired:
- A bachelor’s degree.
- A year of teaching experience.
- Fluency in the English language.
- A laptop, mic, headset and a good internet connection.
You will have to fill out a very simple application process after which your interview will be scheduled. The interview can be a live demo class or you can even pre-record your lesson.
The beautiful and scenic capital of the Czech Republic is a good option land for Language teachers from all over the world. You can find plenty of job opportunities in different educational institutions. However, the salaries may not be as high as offered by some of the other countries, therefore, you will have to be smart about your spending. You may even have to take up private tutoring to supplement your day job and save money. If you feel the city is not worth the effort, then you can just teach online through VIPKID that offers the best wages online and a great platform to find students and get valuable TEFL experience.