Do teachers need to learn to teach? The answer is yes. Continuous professional training and development is crucial for any profession, including teachers. It’s obvious that beginner teachers need classroom practice in order to train to be a teacher. However, experienced teachers also need to enhance their qualification on an ongoing basis, especially when they are planning to become ESL teachers.
Why Do You Need To Train To Be A Teacher?
Teachers should constantly train as their students do, and here is why:
- Motivation. Successful learning results depend not only on students, but also on teachers. Teacher attitude is one of the most pivotal factors when it comes to a student’s motivation to study. A trained teacher has the knowledge and skills that are necessary to motivate students.
- Confidence. Having the proper training to be a teacher is one way to build confidence and be prepared for the possible challenges of the job. Confidence helps teachers to be more flexible and creative when facing these challenges.
- New opportunities. English teacher training courses open new horizons and give teachers more opportunities to advance in their careers.
- Trust. A certified teacher earns more trust among students and their parents. This is especially important for ESL teachers.
Is a certificate or training program required to teach online for VIPKID?
We value the trust of our customers above all, which is why we hire only certified teachers. To become a part of our team, you should have at least a bachelor’s degree and undergo ESL training. For your convenience, now we’ll give an overview of ESL teacher training courses that you can take.
Which programs and certifications are available to teachers in training?
English teacher training courses are united under the ITTT. This abbreviation stands for International TEFL and TESOL Training. Let’s find out what the further abbreviations mean.
- TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. This name typically refers to the TEFL and TESL certification programs. However, it also refers to a certificate, with which you can teach English to non-native speakers both in an English-speaking country and abroad, like in China. The training for a TESOL certification may be different in different institutions, so choose the program depending on your future employer and their requirements. It’s also possible to take teacher training courses online, but some countries or employers may recognize only on-site training for certification.
- TEFL means Teaching English as a Foreign Language. After you undergo TEFL training, you will receive a certificate with which you can teach English to non-native speakers abroad, for example, in China. If your native language is English and you want to relocate abroad, then in most cases you need ITTT TEFL review. Prerequisites for TEFL certification depend on the country where you are going to work. Please also keep in mind that some countries may not accept TEFL certificates resulting from online teacher training courses.
- TESL stands for Teaching English as a Second Language. This certificate is required by English-speaking countries in case you’re planning to teach English to foreigners in these countries. The program depends on your country, so the amount of theory, methodology, and training hours may vary. As with other certificates, be aware that TESL certificates from teacher training courses online may be not accepted by some employers in your country.
- CELTA is a teacher training program like TESOL. The difference is that CELTA training is accredited by Cambridge University. If you want to gain internationally-recognized qualification, then you may aim at a CELTA certificate. Besides, CELTA courses are good for beginner teachers. You can take this course on a full-time or part-time basis, or as online teaching training.
We hope that now you have a better understanding of what teacher training is. Now you may be thinking of which training program to choose. The choice of teacher training courses depends on your purpose.
If you haven’t decided whether you want to move abroad or stay at home, then your best choice would be the TESOL or CELTA program. With a TESOL/CELTA certificate, you can teach English as a foreign language either in your home country or, for instance, in China. If you’re going to relocate, then TESOL is good, but TEFL is even better, as it’s more widely recognized in China, Japan, and South Korea.
And if you’re going to stay at home, then you can aim for TESL. All of the courses can be taken online, but not all employers may recognize an online certificate. As for VIPKID, we have open job positions for ESL teachers who want to teach English online. Our requirements are as follows:
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- 1 school year of traditional teaching experience or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education.