In Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland, the Red Queen famously said, “Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.“ I recently realized that I not only get to believe six impossible things before breakfast being a VIPKID teacher, but I get to experience them. Being a millennial, born in ’87, I still remember those bygone days pre-computer, pre-cell phone, pre-iThis, and iThat. For me, each morning when I log in to a classroom and say hello to my amazing and inspirational students that literally live halfway across the world, I feel like the impossible is happening, and it is so much fun!
By Teacher Maya P
In honor of Alice and the Red Queen, here are my top six impossible things that I have not just imagined, but have gotten to live before breakfast:
1) Entering a classroom during Chinese New Year and the first thing that can be seen is 6 year-old girl wearing a beautiful traditional head piece that is easily twice as large as she is.
2) Having a student say that he doesn’t want to sing “Itsy Bitsy Spider” and, after being told that he can sing a different song, proceeds to sing Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” in its entirety with bravado, high notes, and all.
3) Logging into a class and seeing that a student has already written, “I love you” in the chat box or says during class, “You are Princess Sleeping Beauty”.
4) Witnessing a regular student who started at Level 0 work their way up to speaking independently in complete sentences with lots of new vocabulary in just a few weeks.
5) Giving a trial class and being able to actually communicate with a student who speaks no English and watching that spark of understanding ignite in their eyes.
6) Seeing the excitement on students’ faces when they are ask, “How are you?” at the beginning of class and reply with a genuine, “I am so so so so so happy”.
I don’t have to imagine those six things anymore. I get to experience way more than six impossible things before breakfast each morning. That is the magic of VIPKID.
(PS: Our students recently drew some of their favorite students to show how much they appreciated their teachers. It was one of the most adorable activities so far!)
To become a VIPKID teacher, please click here.